Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whats in a song?

Well . . . the past few days I have not been on my "A-Game" if you will.  I just have not been feeling well at all.


I woke up with one of those pesky little sore throats a few days ago and its just gone down from there.  Eventually leading to one of those coughs that just sounds horrific and puts you into a coughing attack for minutes at a time and is very embarrassing.  Thankfully I've been sick on my days off of work so hopefully by the time I get to work tomorrow I'll be on the up side of all this.


Anyway, when I woke up yesterday I was not feeling good at all.  I sat around the house with the blinds closed for a good part of the day.  Then it just got down right depressing and I had to open up the house and get my day moving at least a little.  Marc got off work yesterday morning so he slept until about 12 allowing me to feel as lazy as I wanted until then, that was nice.


Then we decided to go grab some lunch and just walk around outside for a while.  That actually made me feel a little better.  We went to Veggie Grill which is oh so delish I might add!  If you've never been to a Veggie Grill you need to get there stat, its the best!  And if you don't live near a Veggie Grill my heart hurts for you, you are truly missing out.  Just going to Veggie Grill put a smile on my face and made me feel happy.  Then we walked around the Irvine Spectrum for a little while and just chatted while sipping on  a Vanilla Steamer (Marc had coffee).  It ended up being a really nice day actually.  Granted, the pesky cough and sore throat has not gone away but at least getting outside for a couple hours made me feel a little better.


So, Marc was in a really good mood and when he is in a good mood things are just great!  But man when he is tired or hungry and cranky that can really put a damper on the whole day.  We were on our way home and reminiscing of songs from the past.  Isn't funny how you can hear a song from years ago and it just brings you right back to that very year of your life?  Marc and I are big song people.  We've always been big song people.  Well . . . on itunes you can look up a song and hear a good portion of it without having to pay $1.29 for it, which makes for good reminiscing time.  Marc was really into a couple of Keith Sweat songs back in the day, some of you may remember the songs "Twisted" or "Nobody" by Keith Sweat.  Oh man, we played those songs on the way home and still knew every single word!  It just came blurting out of our mouths even though we hadn't heard those songs in years.  Brought me right back to being a 15 year old, weird.


There are also a lot of songs that remind me of my mom.  She was a KOST 103.5 and KBIG 104.3 listener when we were younger so all of those type of songs remind me of her.  More importantly, Barry Manilow reminds me of her.  My brother and I could sing you just about any Barry Manilow song out there thanks to my mom.  My brother even took my mom to a Barry concert one time.  Or how about The Doors?  My dad went to Mexico with us one time and it was about an 8 hour drive back then, he played a Doors cassette (remember those?) front and back the whole way there and the whole way home.  I'll never forget that trip!


I just think its so funny how songs can make you feel happy, sad, or even squirmy depending on how you were feeling when you first heard it.  Do you know what I mean?  A wedding song of mine will make me happy.  The song Angel by Monica makes me sad, reminds me of my brothers friend Shaun who passed away.  Songs from an ex-boyfriend make me squirmy.  Barry Manilow makes me feel like a little kid.  


I used to make fun of my mom all the time when I was younger because she would always say, "oh that song reminds me of Chris!"  Or "this song reminds me of Nancy!"  Or whoever it may be.  Now I've become my mom . . . but I'm ok with it :)


Do you ever have those moments with certain songs or is just my family that does this?  If you hear a certain song when you are feeling sick or down in the dumps does it perk you up a little?  I was happy to have that little burst of perkiness yesterday amidst my feeling of yuck!


Hope you hear a song today that means something to you and makes you smile!


Jen :)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better, Jen.
    I don't think we have a Veggie Grill. Considering my love for veggies, I wish we did.

    I love how songs can bring back memories. Huey Lewis and the News reminds me of my mom because she would never change one of their songs if it came on the radio.

    For some reason, the song 'What is Love' by Haddaway always makes me sad, but I don't know why. It's like I have some strange repressed teenage angst filled memory associated with that song. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Barry does write the songs the whole world sings!!!! Yes - I am - well, "was" a Fanilow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete