Saturday, March 5, 2011

Deeeeelicious! Bakery that is . . .

Well, I don't know about you guys but I had myself a nice little Saturday if I do say so myself!


It began with me being able to sleep in until 8:00am!  That was awesome.  Being that I sleep very little these days with this basketball under my shirt, it was nice to wake up to a clock that said 8:00am.


Then, my mom and I headed off to Dylan's (the older of the two nephews) T-Ball game.  If you haven't seen a T-Ball game its pretty imperative that you do that as soon as possible.  More importantly, if you are having a horrible Saturday and you just want to smile, go find a T-Ball game and your day will be amazing.  They are just so cute and tiny and most of the kids want to impress their parents so badly that they will do anything to get that ground ball or to hit that ball.  I didn't get any good photos today, but here are a few from last years T-Ball games . . . warning . . . a smile is near:






Cutest thing you've ever seen right?  I know, I agree.  Last year Dylan was on the Cubs, this year he is unfortunately on the Dodgers.  Being an Angels fan myself I find it hard to root for the Dodgers but I will just have to make an exception when it comes to the 3 and 4 year old T-Ball team.  Oh, the Dodgers won today by the way, they win every week, pretty amazing.


After watching the Dodgers beat the Yankees this morning, my mom and I made our way out to Northridge.  Yes, Northridge.  We headed that direction for a very good reason though, to see my cousin Jan.  She is actually my second cousin, but really who says that?  So, my cousin Jan owns a bakery in Northridge called Delicious Bakery.  My oh my is it delicious too!  Actually, the bakery has been owned by members of my mom's side of the family for years and years, Jan is the current owner and she still uses the same recipes that have been passed along for generations.  Jan's bakery is a Jewish bakery . . . which really doesn't mean anything other than that fact that everything is made kosher and delish.  Jan was the maker of our BEAUTIFUL wedding cake too.  When I say beautiful I mean absolutely stunning:




You see?  It was like a picture from a magazine, one of my absolute favorite parts of my wedding.  If you met Jan you would instantly realize that she is one of the most generous people you've ever met.  She not only made our wedding cake, she also made Marc a groomsman cake (a fire engine of course) and since it was my grandpa's birthday the day before our wedding he got his own personal birthday cake at his seat as well.  Jan is just flat out the best.  Today, we met with her to give her some ideas for my baby shower cake as well.  She is so excited to make it and I am so excited to have her make it.  She is a perfectionist and I just know that the cake she makes for the baby shower is going to exceed my expectations by far. 

 Now, not only does Jan make these grand cakes and things for our family, she also likes to send us home with boxes and boxes and boxes of treats.  I'm telling you, BOXES!  As in, the whole back of my Tahoe filled up with boxes kinda boxes!  She does this every time we see her, whether she comes to us or we come to her, there are always boxes of treats very close by.  This was something that my mom's Nana did for her when she owned the bakery as well, a tradition I guess you can say.  Being that I don't want to get gestational diabetes, I figured I might as well share the love!  My mom and I left the bakery and headed straight for Marc's fire station.  Who better to feed then 14 firemen right?  We loaded those guys up with bread, cakes, cookies, danishes, maybe a pie was thrown in there I don't even know.  All I know is, those guys are going to have a sugar rush and then a sugar crash very shortly . . . I hope they don't have many calls tonight :/

Of course, we had to save a few cookies for the ride home . . . 





If you are ever in the area you have to stop by and see Jan!  She would love to have you.  Delicious Bakery, off of Reseda and Nordhoff St in Northridge, Yum!

Since my day was filled with a fried food extravaganza lunch with Jan at a local Chinese Restaurant and cookies for dessert I guess its safe to say that I'll be having a fruit or vegetable smoothie of some sort for dinner . . . you know to balance my food pyramid a little bit :)

Oh and just a little fun fact for you, my latest obsession has been Cherry 7-Up too!  Do you know how tasty and refreshing a Cherry 7-Up really is?  You can't just drink it straight out of the can either, you must have it with crushed ice and a straw . . . oh and I prefer it in the same Coca-Cola glass every time too . . . but I'm big on tradition if you haven't noticed yet.

Hope you had as good of a Saturday as I did!  Sunday Family Day will include some bowling tomorrow so that should be a good end to the weekend! 

Cheers my friends!

Jen :) 


5 comments:

  1. I agree, Jan is sweet. Somehow my mom mentioned to her that I said something about wishing I could cut brownies/bar cookies more evenly and she sent me this really awesome roller, cutting device. I'm still a dork and cut uneven brownies, even with her device, but it was sweet of her to send me one.

    Caroline only played tball one season, but it was fun to watch. I did have to take my little neighbor to a game once and a little girl on his team picked caterpillars in the outfield the whole time. Her mom kept yelling "lily, go for the ball" but she was not interested.

    I'm glad you had a nice Saturday.

    Oh, and send me one of those black and white cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got tears in my eyes when I saw the photo of the black and white cookie! That's my history....sadly, still on my hips.
    Tell the fam hi for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why do I have a headache this morning?!?!?!?! Can you say "cookie overdose???"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison - I wish I could send you everything Jan packed us with! Everything is SO good! I just ate one of her bagels and it was delicious! Tee Tee - don't cry :( You already did that once over cookies, no more :) I will tell the family you said hello. Mom - You have a headache every morning, but I'm sure having all the cookies at your house didn't help! Thats why I got the bagels and you got the cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the cookies are at your house not mine I just can't resist. YUMMY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete