Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bad to Worse . . . Good to Great!

Well hello my friends, its been a few days!


I must admit, I have a lot to tell you about last weekend and I'm very excited to fill you in on the latest . . . brace yourself, its going to be a long one! 


For those of you that don't know, Marc's birthday was on March 15th.  We did a lot of fun stuff for him but I thought it would be nice if I did something special for him as well.  A few months ago I was looking up different little getaways where we could celebrate Marc's birthday as well as a little "Babymoon" if you will :)  


A Babymoon is all the hype these days, didn't you know?  Well I didn't really know until I read about it on a hormonal pregnancy message board one day.  Apparently, some couples plan a Babymoon as one last little couples getaway before the baby arrives.  I figured I would plan a Babymoon and Marc's birthday all in one weekend . . . being the wonderful wife that I am :)


So, I researched some California hotels that carry a Babymoon Package . . . who knew???  Apparently there are quite a few places that have this package, but the one that suited us best was in Pismo Beach.  They seemed to have had the best deal with the best package for our personalities.  I wouldn't call myself a planner, but I'm definitely NOT a procrastinator that's for sure!  I booked the package I'd say back in January.  I thought to myself that the end of March would be perfect!  Gosh, I figured it would be nice and sunny and we can lay around out in the sunshine soaking up the Vitamin D like there's no tomorrow! That's when things went from bad to worse.


The bad.  


Mr. Weatherman and his Mega Doppler 25,000 called for rain!  Boo!  I was hopeful that Mr. Weatherman would be wrong since he so often is.  Figures this is the one time he is right!  


Well . . . our package came with a $50 voucher to the hotel's restaurant called Marisol.  I of course made our reservations for dinner right after making our reservations for the hotel.  We were all set for 7:00 on Sunday night and I had told the guy that we were celebrating my husbands birthday and everything.  They took down Marc's name and it was sure to be a great time!


The worse.


Marc got home from working a 48 hour shift on Sunday morning.  He was tired, as he should have been after working a 48 hour shift.  Plus he had allergies, great!  So he came home, took some Benadryl (sure to knock out a grown man for a few hours) and went to bed.  In the meantime, I get a phone call from an 805 area code, assuming its the hotel to confirm our reservations . . . wrong.  Its the restaurant calling to let me know that the storm had come through Pismo Beach with full force and that the restaurant had been closed down due to severe water damage.  They were happy to give us a referral to another restaurant location nearby though.  I must say, the manager was really nice and it wasn't his fault, but I was pretty disappointed.


You know when you have expectations of things and they just don't seem to go your way?  That's how I was feeling.  I was so excited to plan this for Marc, he had no idea where we were going or what we were doing and I just wanted things to be perfect.  Bummer.


The good.


Driving the 101 Freeway Northbound is always a great drive.  I mean we were in a torrential downpour about 90% of the way, but regardless, its a nice scenic drive :)  So, we get to the hotel which is pretty beautiful:



Upon arrival they give a sheet of paper that explains what the Babymoon package includes, which was far more than I had read about online when booking, Yippee! 



The great.

One thing that it did say online that was not on the paper above was that we each got a 50 minute massage as part of the package as well!  I made appointments for our massages after making our dinner reservations back in January, I swear I'm not a planner.   

So we get to the hotel, we get this paper that says all that is included in the package and we head to our room.  Our room that has a view of the pool and the ocean . . . 



We have about an hour to kill before heading down to our massages.  So we do what most couples would do on a romantic getaway vacation . . . we watch college basketball.  Well . . . I took a little snooze and Marc watched college basketball if you want the 100% truth.  

Then we head down and have our massages in a couples only room.  I had a prenatal massage and Marc had the signature Cliffs Resort massage, whatever that means.  It was awesome!  Loved every second of it and wanted another one the next day!

After massages we got dressed and ready for dinner.  While getting ready we had a knock at the door.  And here comes on a tray and all, another babymoon package item:


A diaper, a Cliffs Resort onesie and a bottle of champagne!  Too bad it wasn't sparkling cider, but hey at least we will have something to drink after the baby is born! I don't think Marc was quite as excited about the delivery as I was :) 

Oh since the restaurant was closed due to water damage they were serving the same menu in the bar so we just ended up eating in the bar for dinner.  It was really nice because the bar had a full view of the ocean, and the clouds parted for a little while as the sun set, I felt spoiled.  

Here we are in our best dinner getup.


That's my sexy maternity shirt, yow! :)  Haha, that's a joke by the way.  

After using our dinner voucher we owed a whopping $4 tab.  Must have been my shirley temple that put us over the limit.  We also had a voucher for a free half bottle of wine for Marc but he chose not to use it, he's not a huge drinker and especially if he has no one to join him.  

It was still raining then so we chose to go back to the room and use our free movie voucher instead of a crazy night out on the town.  We watched The King's Speech, wow, what a great movie!  We were able to pause it about half way through and order our free ice cream too!  I ordered vanilla and Marc ordered Mango sorbet.  Ice cream in a bowl doesn't photograph very well so I'll spare you that picture.  By the time the movie was over and ice cream was eaten it was about 10:30, wayyyyyy past my prego bedtime that's for sure!

The next morning we had a voucher for free breakfast also.  That was delicious!  It was buffet style with an omelet station, potato station, bread station, fruit station, meat station, and all kinds of deliciousness!  The clouds had broken up and it was such a pretty day on Monday.  We went for a little walk to check out the scenery in Pismo before heading back home.  Here are some of our sites:






Very pretty.  Then we just took our time getting home and toured downtown Pismo Beach a little.  We decided we will retire there one day.  A very quaint and cute little town, our kinda place.  Oh and we stopped by the dunes and picked up some camping information as well, we will camp there with our children one day...

We made one very important stop on the way home, UCSB.  Being that Marc is a UCSB Alumni we had a very important purchase to make:






I suppose if we have a little Leah Marie Fiamengo we will have to plop a cute little yellow bow on her hair to make her less of a Tom Boy :)  Although I'm not a Gaucho, I'd say this is a pretty cute little purchase.  Marc wanted to buy one in every color and he wants Baby Fiamengo to come home from the hospital in this as well.  Too bad we got a 3-6 month size so this will most likely not be "going home" attire for our little one.  

I guess you can say we had a good time.  Thank goodness we get along, right?  After seeing how our trip went from good to great, the bad to worse doesn't even exist in my memory anymore.

Thank you for joining me on memory lane for our sweet little Babymoon!

Happy American Idol Night!

Love Jen :)




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything turned out well. It's good that you're both easy going enough to make the best of every situation.

    That onesie is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think this one would go from worse to good, but the clouds always seem to part and the sun always seems to shine for you guys! You live the good life!!! Love you.....

    ReplyDelete