Saturday, April 23, 2011

God who?

Happy Easter!


Well in some parts of the world it is Easter already, not quite yet here in California but Happy Easter anyway!


Growing up, Easter was never a huge holiday for our family.  Back when "Spring Break" actually used to be Easter Break and we would be off of school for a week because of this little thing called EASTER we would be in Mexico.  Well, whether it be Spring Break or Easter Break we still go to Mexico.  My point is, we used to go to Mexico the week BEFORE Easter and would therefore color our Easter eggs while in Mexico.  So we did your typical "Easter-y" things as a family.  My brother and I would find our colored Easter eggs and a few plastic ones and we would get our Easter baskets.  Oh yeah, and my brother and mom and I would do this little thing called "go to church."  Too bad Easter isn't really about going to church at all, but more about the candy that you get in your Easter basket.  


Sad.


Really, the whole church and God thing is getting really sad these days.  Example:  My nephew Dylan sang a Christmas concert type thing at his preschool back in December, you know what they sang????  "We wish you a Happy Holiday!"  Unbelievable!  Not, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, but We Wish You a Happy Holiday?  Really?   


Sad.


Remember when we had Christmas Break in December at school?  Now it's "Winter Break."


Sad.


Remember when we had Easter Break in April at school?  Now it's "Spring Break."


Sad. 


Remember when you could say "One nation under God?"  Where did that go?


Sad.


Sorry, I digress.  We were talking Easter!


So, God sent his only son to die on a cross for my sins and for your sins.  As I sit here days away from delivering a child of my own this is something that I can't grasp.  I haven't met my child yet, but I know all of his or her movements, what time of day he or she gets hiccups, what foods make him or her happy and which ones don't, the size and shape of his or her little foot in my ribs and so much more.  I love all of those things about this baby and I know that when I see him or her (as my co-worker Kim says) my heart will be stolen and live outside my body from then on.  I love baby Fiamengo and saying "ok kid, go die for all of these people who are going to sin and do horrible things and not even be allowed to say your name in school" is beyond me.  I can certainly tell you that I'm thankful to God and Jesus for that ultimate sacrifice that's for sure!


I have a friend from work who is also pregnant and she put it best.  She said something like this:


As I sit here just weeks away from giving birth and living in fear of the pain that I will be in on that day or days, it couldn't possibly be as much pain as wearing a crown of thorns, and being beaten and dragged to a hill to have my hands and feet nailed to a cross.  


Amongst our chocolate bunny ears and Easter egg hunts I hope we all take just one minute to give thanks to God for sacrificing his only son, and to give thanks to Jesus for dying on the cross and rising from the grave 3 days later for my sins and yours.  


Lots of love to you all and Happy Easter!   

3 comments:

  1. Amen.
    There's a Faith Hill (Christmas) song that says, "A baby changes everything."
    It's how Easter began...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, too.

    I'd like to think that Jesus loves jelly beans. Because that would be awesome.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kennedy/Smiths! Alison, I'm thinking that Jesus loves jelly beans, how could He not? :)

    Happy Easter to both of you!

    ReplyDelete