Monday, June 13, 2011

Traditions . . .

Does your family have traditions?


You know, do you have to do a certain thing say every Christmas because its a tradition?  Maybe that's just my family?  I don't know.


We have traditions, a lot of them.  


Maybe you could call it "unwillingness to change," I'd prefer traditions though.


For example . . . 


Every time we go to Mexico we have SEVERAL traditions.  If we don't do the same things every time we go to Mexico its just not the same, the trip has a different feel to it.  We always stop at the same McDonald's on the way to Mexico, the one off 4th street to be exact.  We always get the same thing and we always fill up on gas.  4th street is just before crossing the border and its somewhere that we've always stopped and will always stop until 4th street disappears, which is highly unlikely.  When in Mexico its tradition for us to go to Faly's and eat huevos rancheros, nobody can go to Mexico with us and not eat Faly's huevos rancheros, they are the best thing ever!  Just look:




Delicious!

We also have to have "Peg McMuffins" every time we go to Mexico.  My mom, Peggy, is the maker of the Peg McMuffin unless she isn't there, in which case I am the maker of the famous Peg McMuffin.  


Yum!

If you were to refer back to my Mexico blog you could see all this same stuff.  My point is, my family has traditions and I love it.  Most of our concrete traditions are in Mexico which is why I started with examples from there, oh but there are quite a few others as well.

Marc and I have our own traditions too.  The best one ever is SPT, otherwise known as "Stretchy Pant Time!"  Every night around 7:30 - 8:00 we have SPT.  That of course is when we change into our comfy pajama pants for the night.  Its the best time of day!  We are such old folks that SPT falls right between our Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune watching time, haha.  We don't care, we love it and that's what matters, right?  After SPT is "Cookie Time!"  My mom lives just two doors down from us so every night around 8:30 we walk to her house and plop on the couch for cookie time.  "Traditionally," Marc will take rule of the remote control, he will pour himself a glass of iced tea and he will get each of us one cookie (but always two for himself!).  We watch a show or two or a sport and then head back home after about an hour.  Its tradition, we can't help it.

We have a LOT more traditions than that, but I don't have the time to write for days upon days.  

I was just thinking though, what traditions will Leah have?  Will she pick up on our McDonalds tradition and carry that on when she is driving to Mexico?  Or will she join us at cookie time when she gets older?  Of course she is forced into these traditions now because she is only a whopping 3 weeks old and has no choice, but what will happen when she does have a choice?  I can only hope that she would like to join her parents in some traditions just like I have with my mom, but it will be fun to see her create her own along the way too.

Traditions are fun, they are what makes your family more unique than the next.  I wouldn't change anything that we do, its the best and it makes us happy!  As a wise wise lady (my mom) once told me, we all create our own happiness, nobody else is responsible for YOUR happiness.  So, Marc and I will continue to do just that and I look forward to bringing baby Leah along for the ride!

I'm going to leave you with some professional photos of Leah . . . just because I'm a proud mommy and I LOVE LOVE LOVE these pictures of our little girl!  A big shout out and THANK YOU to our photographer Michelle at Taylor Rose Photography, you are amazing!





Happy Monday everyone!  Have a great week!

Jen XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment